Thursday, April 10, 2008


Like A Flamingo On Ritalin

Is an unopened Amazon package the most interesting thing in the world? I picked one up this morning and while I know what is in it and that it has no interest to me - well maybe a little - still it burns in my peripheral vision like a tempting treat. I am sure that this is a common cultural phenomenon, far more exhilarating than the odd bag of swag from Saturday mornings when I was fifty-quid bloke. And I seem to think that the smaller an Amazon package is, the more interest to me it has. The Christmas Amazon package always comes in a large cardboard box - about the right size for baked bean tins - and it never seems quite as exciting as the small packages but of course they are for us and not others.

My wife was most unimpressed with my guffaw at the Spherical Chicken joke on The Big Bang Theory last night. The issue is not with her not getting the joke - just that it is not that funny. She also keeps pointing out everything that she sees in the programme which leads her to believe that Sheldon and I were separated at birth. Unfortunately I have to keep my mouth shut now because I had started saying Sheldon's lines before he did. Occam's Razor anybody? There! I thought I'd get it in today's entry.

Today's notebook entry :-

"Truth In Science does not promote the real truth or any truth at all. I am right and they are wrong. Evolution can ALWAYS explain everything and do it in simple, elegant way which does not involve outside influences."

The phrase "homunculus in reverse" has just entered my head. In The Curious Adventure Of The Dog In The Night-time, the narrator does a brilliant job of describing how the homunculus you imagine in your head cannot be the answer to consciousness because that homunculus would need it's own homunculus and then we get into God Over Djinn as the answer to all recursions like this. Having a creator requires a creator of a creator and so on. I suppose you could argue that the complexity of the development of life is just as complex as having all those creators - however you are just comparing very-very-very complex (Evolution) with infinitely complex (creators) and of course infinity is infinity times bigger than any finite number. (Are you keeping up Douglas?) Of course at this point someone will go and spoil it all by mentioning faith and the argument becomes two different things which are impossible to compare, like kumquats and Neutron Stars.



No comments: