Tuesday, August 14, 2007

And the Road I’m on is …. Hangar Lane

I wanted to put 2008 in my date heading which I can see up there. I know you can’t see what I type there because I don’t actually copy it from the document but I still wanted to type 2008. I’m not sure why. I am now 7 years past the furthest date I could imagine myself existing in when I was 10. I think there was probably a Blue Peter competition which asked for drawings of the year 2000 and that was about the limit of my imagining of myself. Still it was only a few years after I had discovered with shock that children grow up into adults rather than always staying that way. I’m pretty sure the revelation was a one-off big bang rather than a gradual dawning because I always associate the discovery with a particular room from our house at the time and a definite time of day. Now the question is how much of my life does this explain?

I am back reading GEB now – I finished Dear Robert, Dear Spike and enjoyed the early chapters of the Robert Graves biography but when it went beyond the years covered by his autobiography it seemed to lose something and has therefore been jettisoned without guilt. I am way over half-way through GEB having avoided any real skimming. However, I may try
Life Class before I finish GEB – or even the new version of On The Road which I thought at first was a facsimile of the 120 foot long scroll.

No comments: