Wednesday, March 07, 2007

The Clouds are Moving to the Perimeter

Listening to Substance by New Order

I've just been over the road to buy some duck eggs. I just got the last half-dozen and there was someone else after me. I got a taste for duck eggs when I was about four years old. While on holiday we stopped off to see a friend of my parents somewhere in South Wales I think, possibly near Tintern Abbey. The house was dominated by what seems in my imperfect memory to have been a coterie of girls of all ages who swarmed around my brother and me, treating us like dolls to be pampered and given presents. We left with many duck eggs which I loved, though my brother hated them like all eggs. I seem to remember that we had some gulls eggs as well but that may have been a present from one of my father's birding trips.

What is Laurie Taylor on? I listen to Thinking Allowed on the way home every Wednesday and I still do despite the fact that his knowing and dismissive narration annoys me intensely. I hated the limited sociology I had to do for my degree despite having an agreeable and approachable American lecturer and I should be annoyed at the generalisation that seems to pass for informed investigation as part of the subject. I am sure that sociology comes within the target area of Francis Wheen's How Mumbo-jumbo Conquered the World, though not as much as the French Philosophical junk that I have ranted about before. Anyway, Laurie Taylor always sounds as if he would rather be somewhere else and why does he insist on telling ancient jokes at the end of the programme?

For something to do, why not type "Peel Sessions" into Amazon. I want them all. Some of them I already have cluttering up the garage, buried under a pile of unused woks and a bag of approximately 300 teddy bears that the local children's hospital doesn't want because they can't sterilise them. I suppose they would make a nice fluffy surprise in any landfill they might end up in. Talking of which, we have a plastic recycling facility near us now which means that we can get down to about one bag of rubbish a week now.

There were four of us in the van.

No comments: