Thursday, December 21, 2006

Quick, Quick Quiz,

Listening to Dry by PJ Harvey. Not very Christmassy is it? Fairport Convention anyone? Struth!

Nice to see the King William's College Quiz online early this year. I got eight (I think) and my daughter got one of them.

I am inspired to produce a very short quiz of my own. Answers on an email postcard - prize is the never-ending respect of your peers and a small credit in the Bank of Kudos (Just East of Turkmenistan - spot the apt reference there).

Identify these vocal sound-effects :-

1. Pch-Tick-a-boompa
2. Pch-T'-cooff (my aunt knows the person who did this one.)

I tried to find a third one but all I could think of is ack-ack-ack but the above two are made by humans for non-human devices and ack-ack-ack is of course Popeye.

I have just re-read the Dead Famous book about Einstein for want of something un-emotional and although it explains the details of Special relativity very well, it is obvious that Einstein had to make some brave assumptions to reach his mathematical conclusions regarding time and space etc. It is all very well understanding it after having had it explained but to make all the leaps of faith between the various assumptions shows why Einstein was brilliant. But even then the implications were not definite. It took proof through experimentation though I suppose even to me the theory just seems right through being simple. Software development is a bit like that isn't it? I'm The Bishop of Southwark. This has been Thought For The Day.

No comments: