Friday, April 28, 2006

The World has those who use i for complex numbers and those who prefer j

I got through the rest of Music in 12 Parts and then all of Music for 18 Musicians as well though I suspect some of it may have become like the true definition of Ambient. Brian Eno was on Tom Robinson’s show the other day though to call it an interview may have been wrong – more of a monologue with interjections from Mr 2468 Motorway and although the track listing shows particular pieces of music, I think they were mostly in the background, flowing in and out in the true definition of ambient. It was nice to hear the tale of the invention of ambient from the man himself and also to realise that despite the man’s Tefal image, he actually talks like the rest of us; his complexities apply to various aspects of his persona but not his speech.

Talking about Tefal men, I have become a c# convert. Although I was sent on several c courses over my years at Plessey/GPT/Marconi, I rarely used that language in anger but now I use it for everything and have managed to get over my prejudices. It may be slightly more complex to get something done the first time but afterwards it all just seems so right. Every time I get hold of a new programming environment or machine I re-write a program to display the Mandelbrot set – this is the result from the last go.



The first time was on a 286 and I used it for a company open-day display. It had to run overnight and even then looked awful. The last version takes about a minute to do the main page and then allows zooming but I have never got around how to use a full gamut of colours for the grading. Now the c# methods of getting at the graphics object seem better defined though they require an awful lot of setting up to get at them. If only they had a HSB rather than the RGB setting, all would be well. I am hoping for a 10 fold increase in speed.

No comments: