Friday, December 10, 2004

Toxteth O'Grady and the Peak Freans Trotsky assortment.

Listening to Treasure - The Cocteau Twins

The Cocteaus are always worth a listen. Lorelei, the second track on Treasure is indeed flawless. And unlike My Bloody Valentine, they didn't take years to create that perfection. (Despite this, MBV will be next on the playlist.) I can remember the first snatches of stuff through the wall from my flatmate's room; it was Victorialand, which isn’t exactly archetypal, but it did the job. I have this problem with things that are not real, computer games are only worth it if they are close to reality and for this reason I have a problem with songs. Why sing about something when you can just talk about it. That sounds terrible from someone who claims to be a poet and you may be wondering how relevant it is to my argument. The fact is that Elizabeth Fraser's voice is just another instrument. All the songs are just about music without any of the poetry that can often seem at odds with the raw emotion of the sounds and rhythm. I know you can sometimes hear the words but even then I am sure that the phrases are just used for the fact that they scan and sound nice in the overall feel of the music.

And is one of these songs lifted from Golden Years by Bowie?


No comments: