Tuesday, May 04, 2004

Voodoo Economics

I am trying to work out who I would prefer to resign over the Iraq abuse photos - Piers Morgan or Geoff Hoon - Hell! Let's just go for both of them. Sorry! Bit of politics there and as you know I don't do politics.

This current track by Yes sounds more like The Beach Boys. I was never really a prog-rocker despite the Mike Oldfield fixation but I was leant this CD and some of it is quite good. It all reminds me of that strange image of the seventies pub and beer garden which always crops up at these times. This in turn (in best James Burke Connections style) reminds me of a post-exam trip which our school arranged for us in about 1979 to some urban canals in Birmingham (Venice of the North?!?) and an industrial museum. It was one of those days promising thunder but we all had no more exams and six weeks of holiday to look forward to so we felt great. I don't remember many of the details except for the dead dog which caused merriment on board our narrow-boat I can tell you! Oh yes! There were lots of engines and cars at the museum, which interested some people. I must have read something on the bus up there but I cannot remember what.

This is a photo from good-old Friendsreunited from that very year - guess which is me. Answers on a postcard. Well, bearing in mind the 14 million items of mail which get lost each year - answers on an email would be a better idea.

I am not one of the little beggars down the front who appear to be doing sign language of some sort. What do those symbols mean? The teacher in the gown on the far left is the headmaster Mr Hutchinson of whom I cannot say much as it was all such a long time ago. Looking at me in the picture just makes me think about how I do not think of myself now as any different from me then. I know more stuff and probably have a better idea of what I fell about matters of conscience but in essence my mind works the same way. I am probably have more of an artistic interest than I did then. I was turned off poetry after quite liking it earlier and it was so lucky that we had A Midsummer Night's Dream rather than Henry IV Part one (Oh Look! Here Comes part 2 now) as I would have failed the O Level in Eng. Lit.

I keep looking back at all the time I wasted strolling around the school trying to look cool and "talking funny" with certain less rural companions when I could have been sat under some tree with a book or even a note book. What if we had blogs then? You don't have to spend much time searching to find out what my blog then would have been like. Teenagers have this sense of their own importance. Unfortunately, these days this carries on in adult life with an awareness of rights but none of responsibilities. I sound like that Teachers' Union leader yesterday). I also sound like Mr Daily Telegraph as well. This has to stop. Smoke, Drink and take drugs Kids.