Monday, September 29, 2003

Re-Lapine Haiku

I was going to put a rider on the above entry regarding it not being correctly 5-7-5 but it is all in that scheme. You are going to have to work them out for yourself. I did think it would be impossible to make any meaningful poems from the limited vocabulary provided in the book especially as there are not connecting words. However, I was browsing through David Crystal's excellent Cambridge Encyclopedia of the English Language and I came across some stuff about Chinese proverbs where the exact translation fitted exactly with what I knew I would have to do for these Haiku. I can now see why Haiku comes from Oriental language. These languages are more suited to the economy of phrase that Haiku demands. I do have to add the rider that I realise that proper Haiku have to convey a specific form of meaning and use only a very definite range of emotions which my Lapine versions probably do not. Anyway, Haiku was all I thought I could get away with so there you go. Don't write and complain. I was doing my best.

No comments: