Tuesday, March 04, 2003


Aardvarks on my mind, Wallabies in my pocket

Last night's entry had no title for some reason. Its lack of title has no meaning and neither does this sentence.

Everything seems a little fractured at the moment. There is no direction and a great deal of uncertainty without any specific reason for it. Do you know that feeling you get when you have no immediate worries and also no immediate things to look forward to. Of course, a pessimist like me begins to fill the emptiness with worries rather than the thought of positive opportunities but there you go; that is me. I can't even think of anything to write but I don't want to get back to work with half an hour of lunch remaining.

I accidently brought my daughter's single-use camera in to work with me today so I have taken a new picture of the view out of the window. Watch this space and it is a space isn't it? I was going to write about the silence of the office again last night but I got distracted. What made me think of it was a walk we took last week, alongside the Severn at Tirley. (This is a view from Haw Bridge across the River there). It was totally silent. Occasionally a car would go across the bridge but even then the sound got swallowed up by the space. Wonderful. All this has made me look for a picture of the bridge itself and here it is. My dad worked on this one which is south of Worcester though not in the hard-hat and cement sense.This bridge is quite unusual as it slopes up; it may not be obvious from the picture but the bridge goes from the low-level of the plain, over the river up to the high bank on the Eastern side of the river. The plain is the site of the Battle of Worcester by the way. Anyway, all these bridges are on a site listing all the bridges across the Severn.

Strangely, I did find a picture of Haw Bridge on the Google image site but was barred from going to the site itself by our Company Web-sense. I am trying to find out why the category for this was sex. I did once consider writing a book called 'Sex and Bridges' but I don;t think I ever told anyone. Bridges are Sexy. They are the exciting bit of Civil Engineering. Buildings just go into space and don't reach anything. A bridge has to link two things together often with a curvaceous and very attractive shape. The function of a bridge defines its form and the form is always good, even those rusty old girder bridges have a 'rightness' about their shape, just the correct amount of steel to do the job but not enough to overload the form. I am now anthropomorphising bridges! Too much Chess before bed. Or should that be too much cheese?

No comments: