Tuesday, March 05, 2002

Preparatoria - Remembering Frida Kahlo

Can school ever be this exciting? I am not sure that all aspects of the National Preparatory School would be welcome these days but the desire for education is quite attractive. It draws me towards reading more philosophy and where can I get a copy of Imaginary lives by Marcel Schwob? Is it the inspiration for Nat Tate? I get the feeling that so many novels are just imaginary lives; what someone wanted their life to be rather than what it actually is. If it is exciting enough then write a biography.

Frida Kahlo - contemporary thoughts

I remember things which never happened. I remember great libraries of art in some sunny 1960s summer, great glass buildings with rows of shelves all filled with art books. I can see myself under ten, sitting amongst many of these books, just looking at the pictures, never reading the boring analyses that went with them. I don't think our family was particularly interested in modern art but the feeling of a liking for contemporary things has never left me. Anything is art, but some today is just plain stupid or exploitative.


No comments: