Thursday, October 19, 2006

I’ll get You Pesky Kids!

It must be a law that any science book for kids will have a picture of a Bessemer Converter. I’ve just found this site of pictures from Look and Learn Magazine. We used to get this at school and I had forgotten how detailed the drawings were. Most of the kids only read it for The Trigan Empire I suppose and I have to admit that I didn’t read everything in it, though looking at it now I wish I had. The big news is that you will be able to subscribe to a Best Of series with the same look and feel as the original. My dad used to reminisce over the cover of a thirties equivalent of Look and Learn and we managed to find a copy at Hay-on-Wye in a room piled high with many magazines from all eras.

We also used to get The Daily Express when it was good and The Birmingham Post when it wasn’t. They were displayed on one of those sloping desks with high stools that you don’t see in libraries any more, hidden round the corner of the main library and out of view of main door. Not that the teachers ever came in to check up, possibly deciding that the mischievous kids would be intimidated by so much writing in one place. This allowed us regulars to get up to anything we wanted to, including holding a séance in the ready room. What I didn’t appreciate at the time was the view from the window. The whole building has been knocked down now and all the kids moved to my high school where they have filled the wonderful quad it had with more buildings which is a real pity.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good design!
http://sujujutp.com/kwgl/yhrw.html | http://fzzmubcs.com/etgy/yfzh.html